- Previously I wrote a Trick to Create a bootable USB drive and Install Windows 7 and today I am going to share this Trick on how to install Windows XP in your PC with USB Flash Drive. This is very easy and simple guide to installing Windows XP with USB Flash Drive.
- Installing with a pen drive, thanks to genius that has done these wonderful handwork, its called KOMKU-SP-USB.exe. It is a software packaged to help solve issues with installing pc’s that has no cd drive or that is faulty. You just have to get a USB flash/pen drive at least 2GB and also make sure your pc’s has cd-rom support or else this system will not work for you.
To install Window XP via USB Flash Drive just follow the steps below:
- Buy an USB Flash Drive (at least 2GB).
- When you do this tutorial, please make sure your computer/laptop/PC has a CD-ROM (or DVD). So, now you have 2 computers, with CD-ROM support and without CD-ROM support
- Download this software pack (-PeToUSB.exe - Download) 1.47MB
- This software pack contains 3 application:
- BootSect.exe (Boot Sector Manipulation Tool)
- usb_prep8 (Prepares Windows XP Setup LocalSource for Copy to USB-Drive)
- Double click Komku-SP-usb.exe
- a window will appear... and click Install
- Now Insert your USB Flash Drive.
- Locate folder C:\Komku\PeToUSB\
- double click PeToUSB.exe
- a window will appear like this...
- Destination Drive : select USB Removable
- check on Enable Disk Format
- check on Quick Format
- check on Enable LBA (FAT 16x)
- Drive Label : XP-KOMKU (or whatever you want)
- then click Start
- Click Yes to continue...
- "You are about to repartition and format a disk. Disk: .... All existing volumes and data on that disk will be lost. Are You Sure You Want To Continue?"
- Click Yes
- Wait a few seconds...
- Click OK, and you can close PeToUSB window.
- Open Command Prompt...
- Click Start >> Run >> type cmd >> Click OK
- On Command Prompt window, go to directory C:\Komku\bootsect\
- how to do this?
- first type this cd\ and press Enter
- then type cd komku\bootsect and press Enter
- the result...
- Don't close Command Prompt window, and go to step 6...
- on command prompt window, type bootsect /nt52 H:
- H: is drive letter for my USB Flash Drive, it may be different with yours...
- and press Enter
- the result... "Successfully updated filesystem bootcode. Bootcode was succesfully updated on all targeted volumes."
- don't close Command Prompt window, and go to step 7...
- now type this cd.. and press Enter
- then type cd usb_prep8 and press Enter
- type usb_prep8 again... and pres Enter
- Your command prompt window will look like this
- Press any key to continue...
- usb_prep8 welcome screen will appear
- Prepares Windows XP LocalSource for Copy to USB-Drive:
- 0) Change Type of USB-Drive, currently [USB-stick]
- 1) Change XP Setup Source Path, currently 
- 2) Change Virtual TempDrive, currently [T:]
- 3) Change Target USB-Drive Letter, currently 
- 4) Make New Tempimage with XP LocalSource and Copy to USB-Drive
- 5) Use Existing Tempimage with XP LocalSource and Copy to USB-Drive
- F) Change Log File - Simple OR Extended, currently [Simple]
- Q) Quit
- Enter your choice:_
- Now, insert your original Windows XP CD, or Windows XP with sata ahci driver to your CD/DVD ROM
and back to Command Prompt window
- Type 1 then press Enter...
- "Browse For Folder" window will appear, select your CD/DVD drive and click OK
- the result... "XP Setup Source Path" changed to G:\ (yours may be different)
- Now for point 2, if letter T is currently assigned to a drive in your computer, you must change it.... if not, leave it as it is
- How to change it?
- Type 2 and press Enter...
- "Enter Available Virtual DriveLetter" (for example you doesn't have drive S
so you type S and press Enter)
- back to usb_prep8 welcome screen...
- now type 3 and press Enter...
- Please give Target USB-Drive Letter e.g type U Enter Target USB-Drive Letter:
because my Flash drive letter is H
- So, type H and press Enter...
- after back to usb_prep8 welcome screen...
- now type 4 and press Enter to make new temporary image with XP LocalSource and copy it to USB Flash Drive
please wait a few seconds..
- "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE T: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)?"
- type Y and press Enter
- please wait....
- when format virtual disk complete, press any key to continue...
- please wait... making of LocalSource folder is in progress...
- when "Making of LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS Ready"
- Press any key to continue...
- Copy TempDrive Files to USB-Drive in about 15 minutes = Yes OR STOP = End Program = No"
- Click Yes, and wait...
- "Would you like USB-stick to be preferred Boot Drive U: bla... bla..."
- Click Yes
- Would you like to unmount the Virtual Drive ?"
- Click Yes, wait a few seconds, and press any key....
- press any key again to close usb_prep8...
- Now, your USB Flash Drive is ready
- Now, insert your USB Flash Drive/Flash Disk/Thumb Drive to your notebook (e.g Acer Aspire One)
- go to BIOS and make USB HDD (or USB ZIP in some other machine) as primary boot device....
- then boot form your USB Flash Drive....
- and select "TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"
- After Hard Disk detected, delete all partition, create single partition... and install Windows XP on that partition...
- once text mode setup is complete, computer will restart....
- this time select "GUI Mode setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP"
- Continue Windows XP setup.... and Done!
- Windows XP Installed....
- If you have any Quarries related to this trick then Please feel free to ask in the comment section below.. Enjoy..!!